Cabbage Island is a five and a half acre island south of
Wall Point in Linekin Bay. Cabbage Island was granted to
the Holbrook Family from the government of Massachusetts
in the late 1800’s, the grant included Linekin Neck
(now Ocean Point), Seal Ledges and Cabbage Island.
In 1901 Mr. Ezekiel Holbrook purchased Cabbage Island from his father. When Mr. Holbrook was a young boy he hand dug a well so their goats could have water. Cabbage Island is believed to have received its name because of cabbages grown on the island, fertilized with kelp from its shores. In 1905 Dr. Frank J. Triggs purchased the island from Mr. Holbrook and changed its name to Independence Island. Dr. Triggs, a dentist from Marblehead, Massachusetts built the lodge on the island and occupied it in the summers. In 1925 the island was then sold, to Mr. A.H. Phillips. Mr. Phillips who’s interests were supermarkets and shipping, built the boathouse on the west side of the island. He hired Mr. Wilbur Carter of Lobster Cove as care taker of the island and boats, in exchange for his services, Mr. Wilbur was compensated with groceries Mr. Phillips had shipped to the area during the depression. Mr. Phillips sold Independence Island to Adolf Fink, who ultimately failed in his payment of taxes to the Town of Boothbay.
Donald and Ruth Leavitt purchased the island from the Town of Boothbay in 1948 for $3600 via a Quick Claim deed, which were the amount of taxes due. In 1957 the Leavitt’s petitioned the state legislature through local Representative George Rankin III, to change it’s name back to Cabbage Island. On February 25, 1957 Governor Edmund Muskie signed the petition and Cabbage Island regained it’s historical name. For the next 23 summers Mrs. Leavitt operated the twice-daily clambakes. Passenger boats Linekin I, Linekin II, and Linekin III ferried many passengers to the island. In 1983 Mrs. Leavitt sold Cabbage Island to a business firm from Ohio which operated clambakes for one summer. Over the next couple of years, the island saw no activity and appeared to have been abandoned. Locals would boat to the island to picnic and explore the grounds.
In 1986 Mr Wayne Moore made an inquiry to the town as to the owners of Cabbage Island. He then contacted them to ask whether they were interested in selling the property. It just so happened they were. Mr. Moore purchased the island that same year. After a few months had passed, Wayne was approached by a local boat owner and was asked whether the Moore family was interested in re-starting the traditional clambakes that the Leavitt family had made popular. He offered to provide boat transportation to the island. Wayne then contacted Ruth Leavitt to ask whether she would support the ongoing tradition of Cabbage Island Clambakes. Not only was she in favor of it, she graciously provided the original blueberry cake and fish chowder recipes. Wayne then called his brother Bob to ask whether he wanted to partner up with him in a business venture. He did indeed. In June of 1989, the Moore brothers re-started Cabbage Island Clambakes. They began serving two clambakes a day in addition to lunch, seven days a week June through September. The tradition continues today offering one clambake Monday through Friday and double clambakes on Saturday and Sunday. Four generations of the Moore family enjoy the island each summer. Bennie Moore(mother to Wayne, Bob, Betty and Ginny), manages the gift shop and greets guests daily. Spouses, siblings, children, nieces and nephews all contribute to the family run business.